Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby Lullaby: Move over Lady Gaga, Mom is topping the charts

"Mom who sang that song?”

“Lady Gaga”

“Let’s keep it that way”

That’s me thinking that Mom should not spoil Lady Gaga’s song. She should just sing the songs she is best at.

And that’s baby lullaby.

Mom can put a wailing baby to sleep in minutes. That expertise came with a bit of hit and miss though.


When I was one month old and still suffering a great deal of colic pains, I found it hard to fall asleep. You know, I want to sleep but this colic was there, making it difficult for me. The only thing left to do was cry while I writhed in pain.

At first Mom would hold me close, rocking me to and fro while she sang all sorts of songs she made up.
But this made it worse. All I want to do is be still. And here she is, rocking me to and fro. And worse, singing these songs that sounded like white noise!

It was so frustrating for Mom. She didn’t know what to do. She tried all sorts of things:

Put me face down on her knee while she patted my back. No Way!

Put a warm towel on my belly. Uh-uh!

Massaged my belly. Ouch!

At last, one day, just by chance, Mom stumbled upon what makes me sleep. This actually works most of the time. It’s the best baby lullaby. I call it shiing the song, you know, like humming a song. But this time you are shiing it.

She lies down on the bed, on her back. Lays me on her chest, facing her and she starts shiing ...

Shhhhhh Shhhhhh Shh Shh Shhhhhh

Shhhhhh Shhhhhh Shh Shh Shhhhhh

Shhhhhh Shhhhhh Shh Shh Shhhhhh

And this baby lullaby works every time, or maybe 99% of the time. But first, she has to make sure that I am feeling sleepy. But that’s the subject of another post. That is, how Mom confirms that I want to sleep.
Meanwhile, try this shiing of baby lullabies. I does not matter the kids song you choose, so long as you shii it, it works.

You’ve got nothing to lose; after all experts say that babies hear a whooshing sound in the womb. 

Whoosh kind of rhymes with shii if you ask me!

So what do you think about this trick?

No comments:

Post a Comment